Monday 2 July 2012

When Lord Taylor came to visit

It was a horrible day in early June, with literally gale force winds and rain, Lord Taylor came on a fact finding visit to St Martin's. As part of his tour of Scilly, trying to understand more about island life, from farming and water management to tourism and waste disposal, he visited me down on the farm.

I'm always a bit annoyed when I have to take time out my working day (especially a Friday which is a busy veg box delivery day) as it interrupts the rhythm of the day. However as he and his small delegation came down to me and didn't spend more than 30 minutes, it worked OK.

He was amiable and sounded genuinely interested in horticulture on Scilly and my business, and all associated problems of growing in such a remote place. I hope it gave him a small impression of the issues we all have to face over here and perhaps some ideas as to how to assist with some of the current and potential future problems on the islands.

No comments: